Cabbage thoran is one of the popular side dishes in onam and Vishu sadhya. A sadhya is never complete without a cabbage thoran. Sometimes, mixed veg thoran with cabbage, carrot and beansa are also served in Sadhyas. But the all-time favorite thoran of Malayali is made with just one vegetable , cabbage. The main ingredients of this simple stir fry are cabbage and coconut. If you have all the ingredients handy, thoran can be prepared in 20 minutes. Let us have a look at how the traditional way in which cabbage thoran is prepared.
Step by step instructions with images
Keep all the ingredients ready.
Shred cabbage into thin pieces.
Grind/crush grated coconut, green chilly, turmeric powder, cumin seeds in a mixie/grinder for few seconds without adding water.
In a clay pot heat coconut oil.
Splutter mustard seeds.
Then add dry red chillies and curry leaves.
Add cabbage and mix well.
Add salt to taste.
Add the coconut mixture and stir well.
Cover with a lid and cook for 5 to 8 minutes at low flame.
Mix well again and serve with hot rice and pickle.
- Clay pot/Clay kadai
- ½ of a big sized cabbage
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 1 big green chilly
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 nos dry red chillies
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Shred cabbage into thin pieces
- Grind grated coconut, green chilly, turmeric powder, cumin seeds in a grinder for few seconds without adding water
- Heat coconut oil in a clay pot
- Splutter mustard seeds
- Then add dry red chillies and curry leaves
- Add cabbage and mix well
- Add salt to taste
- Add the coconut mixture and mix well with a wooden spatula
- Cover with a lid and cook for 5 to 8 minutes at low flame
- Serve hot with rice and pickle